SoBran is seeking a Veterinary Technician III to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
OVERVIEW: This person is expected to have a general familiarity with day-to-day activities in multiple facilities working with multiple species. We encourage the Veterinary Technologist III to be forward thinking and able to use their knowledge of basic facility and technical practices to accomplish tasks in a wide array of positions and assignments. They create and assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract. The Veterinary Technician III must possess strong verbal communication and teaching skills. They will assist the Program Management in the efficient allocation of the budget, write and maintain reports and develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Government staff.
This position’s responsibilities include:
- Understand and follow all Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Assurance Standards
- Assist the veterinary staff with examinations and procedures, and alert them to emergencies or other animal related problems
- Administer clinical treatments as directed (Topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID)
- Monitor the health status of all animals
- Safely and correctly handle and restrain animals for observation and procedure
- Operate complex laboratory equipment required for this position
- Able in identifying basic operating problems (troubleshoot) of lab equipment and make repairs
- Calculate drug dosages and administration frequencies
- Identify and communicate signs of abnormal health and behavior in multiple species
- Maintain medical records accurately
- Assist the veterinary and research staff with surgical preparations and procedures
- Collect, preserve and prepare blood, urine, stool, and tissue samples for testing and shipment
- Place and maintain all forms and methods of animal identification in all species
- Participate in all required trainings (topics may include: animal specific information and technical procedures, medical care, OSHA, regulatory, ASP support, and standard operating procedures).
- Achieve and maintain a proficiency score of at least 95% within one year of appointment, and each year thereafter
- Provide technical guidance and training to level I and II staff
- Maintain breeding colony management and recordkeeping
- Collect post-mortem specimens for shipment or evaluation
- Perform embryo transfers or related activities
- Supervise caretakers during weekend shifts.
- Participate in weekly technical or SOP training
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned
Schedule Requirements: Shifts typically occur between 6:00 am and 8:30 pm weekdays. This assignment may include working on weekends and holidays, in which the hours are between 6:00 am to 6:30 pm.
Required Education: Employees’ appointed to the position of Veterinary Technician III must meet one of the following standards prior to appointment:
- An Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the Physical Sciences, Animal Sciences, or related discipline.
Certification: Employees must hold an AALAS certification at the LATg level.
Required Experience: 7 years as a Veterinary Technician working in the Laboratory Animal field working with multiple species preferred.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.