Join The Winning Team….Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
We are currently seeking a Clinical Veterinarian II to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Poolesville, Maryland.
OVERVIEW: To serve as the clinical veterinarian for animals housed in the Division of Veterinary Resources Animal Care Program.
Description of Duties:
- Provide clinical care, research support, and regulatory oversight for all species within the DVR animal facilities located in Bethesda and Poolesville, Maryland campuses ( non-human primates, carnivores, ungulates, rabbits and rodents ).
- Perform daily health exams, quarantine procedures, semi-annual health exams, and health physicals for all animal species within DVR animal facilities.
- Participate on a rotational basis in the weekend and holiday veterinary coverage roster.
- Review Diagnostic Support Services reports and monitor reports for current and program trends.
- Directly support animal research studies of significant size, scope, and complexity conducted by the NIH intramural research programs.
- Maintain and perform QA on controlled substance logs and animal medical records.
- Understand the current SOP’s of the DVR and assist in developing SOP’s relative to DVR veterinary medical operations.
- Assist with investigator questions and concerns.
- Assist in the development of an infectious agent outbreak disaster plan and implement the plan as needed.
- Provide assistance to assure compliance with regulatory agencies and AAALACi.
Perform other duties as assigned by the SoBran Director, DVR Animal Program Director and the DVR Chief, Veterinary Medicine Branch.
Required education: Must have a VMD/DVM from an AVMA-accredited institution and a current license to practice veterinary medicine.
Required experience: Must have knowledge in the development and management of animal research protocols. Must have a technical background in laboratory animal science and understand the concepts of biomedical research along with working knowledge of the NIH animal care and use policies and guidelines as well as other regulatory documents e.g. the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the PHS Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Regulations under the Animal Welfare Act, ARAC Guidelines, Manual 3040-2 Animal Care and Use Intramural Program.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.