Weckwerth Animal Hospital is a progressive two doctor practice located in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. Our motto is “We Care The Way You Care”. We live by these words and we are seeking a compassionate veterinarian to join our busy team! Although we are located in a relatively small town of 2,500 permanent residents, we draw a large number of clients from the nearby communities of Fargo, North Dakota along with Fergus Falls and Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. Many clients that travel from out of town comment that they come to our practice because we provide cutting-edge medicine with a small town sense of compassion and caring. Pelican Rapids is located in Otter Tail County, which is home to 1,048 lakes! As a result, we are able to enjoy serving many seasonal and year-round lake residents.
We are blessed with a compassionate and competent support staff of five Certified Veterinary Technicians, one new graduate veterinary technician in the process of certification, an office manager, and two veterinary assistants. We believe that the three key ingredients that a practice must possess in order to provide high-quality veterinary medicine are compassion, knowledge, and use of the best and most current technologies available. Our practice utilizes Idexx Cornerstone practice management software. We have a full Idexx in-house lab (automated CBC, serum chemistry, electrolytes, bile acids, cortisol, total T4, coagulation analyzer), digital DR radiography, CO2 surgical laser, electrocautery unit, ultrasound, isoflurane anesthesia, and dental unit. We currently offer dental prophylactic cleaning and extractions but hope to expand our dental practice in the future to include dental radiographs and advanced dentistry. We offer basic and advanced soft tissue and orthopedic surgery, mostly performed by our staff veterinarians. For those especially challenging surgical cases, we work with board-certified specialist surgeons who travel to our clinic on an as-needed basis.
We are seeking a qualified veterinarian for an exclusively small animal position. Although we do offer some large and exotic animal services, the successful candidate would not be required to perform any large or exotic animal services unless he or she desired to do so.
We are located in the Heart of the Lakes area of West Central Minnesota where recreation abounds for the outdoor enthusiast. With over 1,000 lakes in our county alone, opportunities for boating, fishing, hunting, and camping are abundant. We are also conveniently located just 20 miles from Detroit Lakes and Fergus Falls, MN and 45 minutes from Fargo, ND where all of your shopping, dining, and entertainment needs await you.
• DVM or Equivalent
• Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Minnesota.
• Must possess excellent communication skills.
• Must be able to perform duties effectively in stressful situations.
• Must have good record keeping skills.
• Must be compassionate and caring when interacting with patients and clients.
• Must be competent and confident in small animal surgery and internal medicine decision making.
• Perform small animal wellness examinations, administer vaccinations and other preventative medicine.
• Educate clients regarding preventative medicine and wellness.
• Perform sick animal examinations thoroughly.
• Diagnose disease conditions and determine treatment plans.
• Perform small animal soft tissue surgeries such as OHE and neuter on dogs and cats.
• Must be able to perform other basic soft tissue procedures as required.
• Accurately diagnose common small animal orthopedic conditions. Desire to develop orthopedic surgery skills is a plus.
• Perform examinations for and write official health certificates.
• Competitive salary based on level of experience
• Mentoring by two experienced veterinarians
• Generous retirement plan
• Generous CE allowance
• AVMA and MVMA dues paid for by the practice
• Supplemental insurance
• Pet health benefits
• Ample time off
• No after-hours emergencies. After-hours emergencies are referred to a nearby emergency clinic.
If our practice sounds like it would be a good fit we want to hear from you! Please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume.