Full Time Instructor - Veterinary Technician Program
October 2, 2018
Type & Experience Level:
Full Time - One to seven years
4 Year Degree
The School of Health Education at Madison College is now hiring for a full time instructor position in our Veterinary Technician Program! We are seeking motivated and engaged candidates who share a willingness to collaborate with other faculty members, animals, students and the community at large. Classrooms are equipped with state of the art veterinary clinic equipment and mimic a modern veterinary clinical setting. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the field and to teaching that will enable him or her to be a visionary and innovative member of the team. To learn more about what the Madison College Vet Tech Program as to offer please visit https://madisoncollege.edu/program/veterinary-technician
This position will challenge all of your skills and allow you to participate in multiple opportunities such as: teaching, advising, and mentoring students. With smaller lab class sizes averaging 12-18 students, you will be able to work side by side with students with state-of-the-art equipment and live animals. The Vet Tech is comprised of a team of 18 full and part time faculty members and staff members who are committed to teamwork, support, and students.
Our distinguished Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning assists with the development of newly hired faculty to help craft the art of teaching through specialized training and mentoring. Madison College is committed to ensuring faculty has the skill set to effectively teach and help students achieve their goals.
This position is located in the vibrant and diverse city of Madison, Wisconsin’s 2nd largest city and state capitol. Nestled between two recreational lakes, Madisonians are offered year-round activities for all, including the Dane County Farmers’ Market located around the Capital Square, more than 200 miles of scenic biking and hiking trails, world class restaurants, and numerous festivals and community events. Madison is consistently ranked as a top community in which to work, live and play. Madison offers a small town feel, with a big city impression. But, if that’s not enough, Madison is just a short 125 miles northwest of Chicago and 77 miles west of Milwaukee. To learn more about what Mad-Town has to offer, you can visit www.visitmadison.com.
This position has the anticipated start date of early January 2019.
This position instructs adult students in all veterinary technician programs at the Associate Degree level. Instructors develop instructional strategies and curriculum as a regular part of their work, and are encouraged to serve on committees.
1. Instructs students in the Associate Degree Veterinary Technician Program including but not limited to the following courses: Laboratory Animal Science, Occupational Preparation, Veterinary Medical Terminology, Animal Care & Management, Animal Disease, Pharmacology, Veterinary Clinical Pathology, Veterinary Office Procedures, Surgical Nursing, Animal Nursing, Animal Anatomy & Physiology, Diagnostic Imaging and summer Internship.
2. Assists with the care and well-being of animals used in teaching outside of class hours (including weekends and holidays) to include but not limited to rodents, rabbits, dogs, cats, horses, cows, goats, sheep, swine and poultry.
3. Develops, plans and delivers training using appropriate instructional methodologies, including alternative delivery strategies when appropriate, including but not limited to hybrid, face-to-face and on-line course delivery.
4. Assists and advises students with assignments, tests, grades, course content, career concerns, and other academic matters, and refers students to appropriate Madison College support resources as needed.
5. Evaluates student performance and provides regular feedback in courses taught by the instructor.
6. Actively works with other personnel in student recruitment, retention and success. This includes developing strategies aimed at the recruitment and retention of minority (including male) students.
7. Develops and maintains curriculum in a variety of non-traditional formats to meet student needs in collaboration with department/ division staff; participates in instructional and curriculum articulation activities with other programs and other divisions of instruction.
8. Functions without direct supervision in a team environment with the ability to support a cohesive department atmosphere.
9. Complies with college policies and directions regarding student testing, record keeping, advanced standing, providing grades on a timely basis, maintaining office hours for student assistance and academic advising, etc.
10. Assists students in developing work experience assignments such as clinical affiliations, work-study assignments, team projects, etc.
11. Designs and implements strategies to engage students in the learning process.
12. Integrates the use of technology into the teaching and learning process.
13. Plans and implements professional development strategies to continually improve teaching and professional experience.
14. Maintains certification as an instructor with the Wisconsin Technical College System.
15. Attends school, program and advisory committee meetings.
16. Adheres to the Faculty Quality Assurance System (FQAS) guidelines for professional development. Participates in appropriate staff development activities such as diversity awareness, technology training, etc.
17. Demonstrates a commitment to the college mission, vision and values.
1. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree or a CVT with a Bachelor of Science degree. DVM highly preferred.
2. Graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited School of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) OR graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited Veterinary Technician Program.
3. Four (4) years (8,000 hours) of related work experience which must include experience working with live animals in a variety of species within the last three years. • One (1) year (2,000 hours) of related work experience must be within the past five (5) years. • Two (2) years of full-time equivalent teaching experience in a related area at an accredited college or university within the past five (5) years may be substituted for the one (1) year of related work experience within the past five (5) years.
4. Licensed as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in the State of Wisconsin OR Certified as a Veterinary Technician in the State of Wisconsin. If not currently credentialed, obtain and maintain Wisconsin licensure/certification within six months of employment.
Additional Salary Information: The salary is based off of a 38 week teaching contract.
About Madison College
Madison College is a nationally recognized technical college that offers enriching job opportunities in education, student services, administration, facilities and more! Today we are known for our real-world, smart approach to learning – offering students innovative, high-tech career pathways and college transfer opportunities with more than 150 programs to choose from. Madison College is a great place to work and has been for over 100 years, serving more than 33,000 students in 12 south-central Wisconsin counties. The College offers generous salaries, benefits, and an inspiring work environment. Employees enjoy a culture dedicated to lifelong learning, wellness and inclusiveness.
Madison College achieves its mission by following the values of excellence, respect, commitment to diverse communities and creating access to higher education for all. Employees of the college are engaged in the community, connected to employers and focused on growth and development. We appreciate your interest in Madison College and thank you for considering us as you plan the next steps in your career.
If you are in need of application assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at... (608) 246-6900.
Madison Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Rosemary Buschhaus, J.D., SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Director of Employment and Employee Relations
1701 Wright St
Madison, WI 53704